Saturday, July 16, 2011

pfSense in a Virtualized Environment

Just a quick note on pfSense in a virtualized environment. For whatever reason pfSense hangs during installation in a VM with default VM settings on all hypervisors I have tried. I have seen this on 1.2.3 and 2.0-RC1 on VirtualBox, KVM, and Xen. I have not tested with pfSense 2.0-RC3. The way I found to get around this is to put the cdrom and the harddisk on separate virtual disk controllers. For example sticking one on a SCSI and the other IDE seems to work around the issue. I have tested this in both VBox and KVM.

If you haven't checked out pfSense it complimants Open VSwitch quite well in a virtualized lab environment as a LAN router and firewall. My favorite firewall/router distribution I have used hands down.

No comments:

Post a Comment